The Abilene Paradox is an important discovery in group psychology first described by management consultant Jerry Harvey. Professor Harvey found that it is possible for a group to collectively decide on a course of action that no one in the group really wants. This happens when each member mistakenly believes that his or her own preferences are counter to those of the group majority.
Although Harvey's work is most often applied in business settings, transferred to the political realm it explains how it is that tiny minorities are consistently able to use what is falsely represented as "public opinion" to impose unpopular policies on overwhelmingly hostile and very large majorities--until the issue is actually put to a popular vote by secret ballot.
The establishment news and entertainment media are the existential enemies of peace, freedom, truth and, ultimately, of the people themselves. It is the establishment media's job to distort and conceal reality and, most importantly, to persuade opposition voices that they are in the minority and cannot prevail. When the establishment media are successful, people can be manipulated to collectively and publicly accept policies to which they are individually and privately opposed, provided they are not permitted to vote on the issue by secret ballot. It turns out that most people really are "sheep". When push comes to shove, they would rather be part of the group than be seen in public as an outsider who thinks differently.
On an array of issues (homosexuality, transgender bathrooms, illegal immigration, inner city violence, false allegations of Russian aggression, etc.), the controlled media spew out a coordinated blizzard of lies, half-truths, and disinformation calculated to achieve the establishment's primary goal: to maintain and expand establishment control over the population.
Who then are the victims of The Abilene Paradox in America?
- The majority of Americans that privately believes it to be immoral to overturn centuries-old religious beliefs in order to accommodate the bizarre sexual practices of a tiny minority of homosexuals (less than 1.7% of the population according to current Centers for Disease Control data).
- The majority of Americans that privately believes it to be insane and dangerous to require that "transgender" males (who "self-identify" as female) be given access to women's bathrooms as a matter of law.
- The majority of Americans that privately believes that illegal immigration is a threat to internal peace and national survival.
- The majority of Americans that privately believes it to be dishonest and unhelpful to use the politically-correct and made up propaganda term "gun violence" to excuse the epidemic of murder being committed by young inner-city blacks.
- The majority of Americans that privately believes it to be false and dangerous to accuse Russia of aggression when it is the United States government that has killed over a million innocent people in the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Pakistan, the Ukraine, Yemen, Somalia and in many other countries in pursuit of its mad dream of a world-wide American empire.
This site is not affiliated with any political party. Its goals are to advocate for individual liberty, traditional morality, and domestic peace and to resist all forms of tyranny and statism. It reflects the point of view of a life-long constitutionalist and recovering Republican. If you are among the millions trying to understand what has happened to the GOP, please visit "Who Killed the Republican Party?" If you agree with the content of this post, please feel free to print and distribute it or forward the link to your political representatives at the state and federal level Thank you for your interest.